Slice of Life is inspired by the desire and challenge of living our lives in the moment. Days go by, weeks go by, years... but we can still choose over and over again to look at our own lives in small installments. These installments (or slices of life) can be walks taken in the hills, naps or a glass of Rioja. For me, what makes my slices super meaningful is being able to share with others the moments of my day with dogs in play, training or napping where we're all piled up on the bed.

My slices of life are full of events and experiences that are meaningful to me. As a former professional photographer, I still “see” so many pictures (or vignettes) as I interact with my dogs and the world around me on a daily basis. Most of the time I am not capturing these moments with a camera anymore. Instead, I am just showing up... I must say, that I do miss having a register of events outside of my head so that at my leisure I can relish a past moment as I am transported by a visual or written recollection of days gone by.

With the immediacy of all things digital, perhaps I can have my cake and eat it too. I can continue to do my work as a dog trainer and also register here and there moments of living a life in the company of dogs. I hope you will occasionally take a peek, and that my slices of life transport you in a glee of YOUR own!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Missing The Bigger Picture

It has been two Sundays in a row where we have been having breakfast in Santa Fe and another patron has brought their dog with them.

I am not talking about the dog lying comfortably next to his and/or her owners in the shade with perhaps a water dish or some tidbits tossed here and there. These two dogs were tied outside while their owners, in one case, continued to ask the dog to lie down or sit every time the dog decided to check-in on them. On the second occasion, the owners actually sneaked in a super cute King Charles Spaniel into the restaurant.

It was only a matter of minutes when another patron asked them if their dog was a service animal. The woman responded "no". The gentleman then asked them to remove the dog while at the same time a staff member did the same.

The owner marched the dog outside and I began to feel my chest tighten. It was already hot - high 70's and I was really worried she would “stick” her dog in the car.

Our dogs, were hopefully sleeping in the car… but the car was parked in a covered parking lot. We had taken our customary Sunday walk and decided on this particular restaurant because I knew we needed to park inside a lot.

I realize both of these set of owners meant “well” by including their pet in their daily lives. The problem is that there are truly missing the big picture!


Parking dogs on the sidewalk without supervision - even if it is “just for a second” is a terrible idea! Besides it is illegal.

It is actually a welfare issue folks. When a dog is left unattended attached to an object the dog is completely vulnerable. Dogs have basically three choices when they feel threatened: Flee (can’t do), Fight (will do), or Freeze (a coping strategy when the other two choices are not available).

The perhaps friendly dog is now put in a situation where if by chance it is approached by another dog, he/she will not be able to even say “hello” in an appropriate way. Do you wonder why so many dogs (it is truly an epidemic!) lung and bark – even growl when they are on leash and they spot another dog? It is precisely because they are feeling vulnerable and frustrated at their inability to say hello to a dog they have never met in a safe manner.

In many instances it only takes one encounter of this type to have the dog generalize their discomfort and sense of threat to all dogs when she/he is on leash!

Once, long ago in a distant land … I too tied up my two very friendly Springer Spaniels, Inca and Chaco (for whom my business is named after), to a pole. I promised that I was only going to be a minute… and before I could blink my two dogs were barking hard at a dog that was passing by.

When I heard my dogs barking furiously I ran outside and found them all tangled up on the post. And yes the other dog was friendly!

I vowed to never to do this again. But I guess I did not really learn my lesson… one day I walked with Laika to the copy shop. I tied her to a tree in front of the window where I could see her and I could go to her rescue should she need of my help, but she appeared to be doing fine just watching me inside making copies… all this while my eye caught a car slowing down in front of Laika with two passengers inside - a man and a woman. I began to feel as though something was not right as the couple were eyeing Laika and the woman began to get out of her car.

I immediately came out and stood beside Laika. The woman quickly closed the car door and they sped away. Call me crazy but I think they were ready to snatch Laika. With this one incident I really learned my lesson.

As we left the restaurant this past Sunday, I spotted the King Charles Spaniel tied outside the restaurant in the sun, with little-to-no-protection. I could not believe it! Her owners inside enjoying a meal. I thought to myself: 'Why don’t they come and have their breakfast outside with their dog?' As there were some chairs and tables available? Ahh, because it is too hot to eat comfortably outside… still their dog remained in the sun while the couple finished their meal… A typical case of good
intentions coupled with very little afterthought for the wellbeing of the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment