Slice of Life is inspired by the desire and challenge of living our lives in the moment. Days go by, weeks go by, years... but we can still choose over and over again to look at our own lives in small installments. These installments (or slices of life) can be walks taken in the hills, naps or a glass of Rioja. For me, what makes my slices super meaningful is being able to share with others the moments of my day with dogs in play, training or napping where we're all piled up on the bed.

My slices of life are full of events and experiences that are meaningful to me. As a former professional photographer, I still “see” so many pictures (or vignettes) as I interact with my dogs and the world around me on a daily basis. Most of the time I am not capturing these moments with a camera anymore. Instead, I am just showing up... I must say, that I do miss having a register of events outside of my head so that at my leisure I can relish a past moment as I am transported by a visual or written recollection of days gone by.

With the immediacy of all things digital, perhaps I can have my cake and eat it too. I can continue to do my work as a dog trainer and also register here and there moments of living a life in the company of dogs. I hope you will occasionally take a peek, and that my slices of life transport you in a glee of YOUR own!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Building Confidence

Rio is one of those dogs that really never misses a meal or any opportunity for some extra tidbits, but a couple of days ago something strange happened. It is breakfast time and I call both dogs in my customary way. Rio, instead of coming and lying on her bed, is cruising the living room and basically not minding me. I encourage her to come and I receive the same response.

I normally don’t worry if my dogs choose to miss a meal. Normal for animals that are scavengers – the “strange thing” actually is for them to get fed daily!

Whenever my dogs miss a meal I observe more closely their overall behavior. If everything else looks “normal for them” I don’t worry. Soon enough they begin to eat.

But this thing with Rio is gone past that. She is not even interested in playing our run after kibble game that we play some mornings in the long hallway. Instead of running after the kibble that I flick for each dog in opposite directions, Rio’s body language appears defeated: Head low, curved back and low hind-area. She is also clearly averting her gaze from Deuce.

As I sit on the ground perplexed I can't stop but asking: Did I miss anything here? What is going on???????


I have not noticed anything unusual between Deuce and Rio and besides she is just her normal self except surrounding meals or games that have to do with meals.

John also reports to me that he has noticed Rio not going into the laundry room to begin eating as fast as she always does. Don’t worry, I tell him, but let’s do watch her for any other clues.

I decide then to give this poor girl some needed help. I deliver her food bowl as I do daily but instead this time I coax her a little to come get her chow while Deuce is already on his spot eating his. It does not take long for her to realize that eating is something she really enjoys.

Once at her bowl, I stick around in the laundry room and as an added “bonus” I am blocking Deuce from Rio’s view. I pretend to be doing chores as I do not want to focus too much on her but instead keeping things light and up-beat.

Once she begins to eat she seems relaxed. I praise her as she is finishing her meal.

Okay, that did it, I think. But the next morning as I set things up for the run after kibble game Rio goes back to her low-confidence posture.

I get smart and I begin to flick for her not the usual boring kibble, which Deuce is running after full throttle on his side of the corridor. Instead, I send flying high-value treats for Rio to find. Initially she is waal-k-iin-g to them. Argh! Come on girl! But as I continue to toss them as far as I can, she kind of gets into the groove and now she is running to get every treat I send her way.

A couple of days have passed, and she is not 100% back to her normal self surrounding meals; but at least I know I am on the right track.

There are times when just one awful experience - from the dog’s perspective - can really change how your dog feels about something. This is indeed the power of classical conditioning - where it is all about associations. Sometimes we know exactly what happened because you were there, but many times you don't. Either way, the approach for the solution is the same… Plan to give your dog a bunch of positive experiences in relation to the bad experience so that at least the dog remains neutral to the stimulus and at best is back to enjoying doing what she previously did.

No comments:

Post a Comment