Slice of Life is inspired by the desire and challenge of living our lives in the moment. Days go by, weeks go by, years... but we can still choose over and over again to look at our own lives in small installments. These installments (or slices of life) can be walks taken in the hills, naps or a glass of Rioja. For me, what makes my slices super meaningful is being able to share with others the moments of my day with dogs in play, training or napping where we're all piled up on the bed.

My slices of life are full of events and experiences that are meaningful to me. As a former professional photographer, I still “see” so many pictures (or vignettes) as I interact with my dogs and the world around me on a daily basis. Most of the time I am not capturing these moments with a camera anymore. Instead, I am just showing up... I must say, that I do miss having a register of events outside of my head so that at my leisure I can relish a past moment as I am transported by a visual or written recollection of days gone by.

With the immediacy of all things digital, perhaps I can have my cake and eat it too. I can continue to do my work as a dog trainer and also register here and there moments of living a life in the company of dogs. I hope you will occasionally take a peek, and that my slices of life transport you in a glee of YOUR own!

Monday, September 5, 2016

Allergies and Dogs

When a member of the family develops allergies to dogs their doctor most often recommends the following measures:

1. Containment of the dog – preferably by keeping the dog outside at all times
2. Bathing and brushing the dog often (sometimes too often!)
3. Removing carpets and replacing furnishings with fabrics (such as sofas) for non-fabric ones
4. Preventing the pet from sleeping with the allergic individual
5. Installing efficient air purifiers with a HEPA filter
6. Giving the dog away

While the recommendations above might be necessary in decreasing an allergic reaction on the allergic patient, some of these recommendations by your MD do NOT take into consideration the negative impact on the pet!



Before you confine your dog to living outdoors, please consider the following options:

1. Segregating the dog to certain parts of the home. So the dog will live inside and be a full-member of the family but will not be permitted in the bedroom of the person suffering from allergies.
2. Bath your dog twice a month and brush him daily, if at all possible. If you are able to brush your dog with regularity you can contain most of the hair and dander that can be left behind and cause the allergic reaction.
3. Vacuum as often as possible to remove any possible allergens.
4. Purchase good quality air purifiers with a HEPA filter that can be placed in areas where the dog will be permitted.
5. Use a hypo- allergenic cover for your pillow
5. Wash your pet’s bedding in hot water twice a week

If the efforts above fail to give relief from pet allergies consider co-owning your pup. Perhaps he can live in a friend’s home for part of the week or with a family member while you get to visit him and still keep him as your pet. Social isolation is a well-fare issue for most dogs.

Please consider all possible alternatives so that your dog does not relegate to long and on-going hours with no human social interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment