Slice of Life is inspired by the desire and challenge of living our lives in the moment. Days go by, weeks go by, years... but we can still choose over and over again to look at our own lives in small installments. These installments (or slices of life) can be walks taken in the hills, naps or a glass of Rioja. For me, what makes my slices super meaningful is being able to share with others the moments of my day with dogs in play, training or napping where we're all piled up on the bed.

My slices of life are full of events and experiences that are meaningful to me. As a former professional photographer, I still “see” so many pictures (or vignettes) as I interact with my dogs and the world around me on a daily basis. Most of the time I am not capturing these moments with a camera anymore. Instead, I am just showing up... I must say, that I do miss having a register of events outside of my head so that at my leisure I can relish a past moment as I am transported by a visual or written recollection of days gone by.

With the immediacy of all things digital, perhaps I can have my cake and eat it too. I can continue to do my work as a dog trainer and also register here and there moments of living a life in the company of dogs. I hope you will occasionally take a peek, and that my slices of life transport you in a glee of YOUR own!

Monday, July 18, 2016

DOG T.I.P. - A Volunteer Training Program

My colleague Erica Beckwith (also a graduate of Jean Donaldson’s Academy) and I have been very busy getting ready for our pilot program for Dog T.I.P. at the Stray Hearts Animal Shelter in Taos. While the program has been designed we are marching full speed with all our presentation materials, and finalizing the weekend-long training.  We are both super excited to be able to share our knowledge and experience with shelters.  Below you can read about Dog T.I.P. if you know of a shelter that you think could benefit from it, please let them know about the program.

The Dog Training Internship Program  (Dog T.I.P.) aims to educate committed volunteers at shelters around the nation so that they can learn the necessary skills to humanely and effectively train and mentally stimulate dogs at their shelters.

The training of volunteers and the program itself is comprised of independent, yet related “modules.”  The goals of each one of the four modules are:
To reduce the distress levels of shelter dogs
To increase their adaptability by teaching them skills that adopters expect of their pet
To support shelter staff by volunteers as a result of increased knowledge in the areas of animal learning and humane methodologies of animal training
To provide volunteers with guidelines to aid them in the adoption counseling process and placement protocols

Moreover, we believe that when committed volunteers are part of the solution instead of just doing necessary “tasks” for the shelter, such as cleaning pens or walking dogs, they experience less burn out. Therefore, their commitment and enjoyment as a shelter volunteer increases.

Those of us that have experience working or volunteering at shelters can attest that a strong and motivated group of volunteers is at the core of saving more lives, more successful adoptions and the reachable possibility of making shelters more humane for the dogs in their care.

While we encourage shelters to embrace the full program we understand that at times it is not realistic.  However, even implementing some of the fundamental concepts will help in creating a more humane and wellness-based shelter environment.

Our goal for the presentation at the Humane Conference 2016 is to unveil to Conference participants all that our program entails.  We expect that shelters will find our program not only provocative, but also attainable.  During the presentation we will look at the program in some detail, share case studies, as well as discuss the requirements for shelter’s participation in Dog T.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment