Slice of Life is inspired by the desire and challenge of living our lives in the moment. Days go by, weeks go by, years... but we can still choose over and over again to look at our own lives in small installments. These installments (or slices of life) can be walks taken in the hills, naps or a glass of Rioja. For me, what makes my slices super meaningful is being able to share with others the moments of my day with dogs in play, training or napping where we're all piled up on the bed.

My slices of life are full of events and experiences that are meaningful to me. As a former professional photographer, I still “see” so many pictures (or vignettes) as I interact with my dogs and the world around me on a daily basis. Most of the time I am not capturing these moments with a camera anymore. Instead, I am just showing up... I must say, that I do miss having a register of events outside of my head so that at my leisure I can relish a past moment as I am transported by a visual or written recollection of days gone by.

With the immediacy of all things digital, perhaps I can have my cake and eat it too. I can continue to do my work as a dog trainer and also register here and there moments of living a life in the company of dogs. I hope you will occasionally take a peek, and that my slices of life transport you in a glee of YOUR own!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Oh my, thunder!

It is the rainy season here in New Mexico (yes, we do get rain in the high desert) and with rain often comes thunder.  Deuce has always been afraid of noises such as thunder, gun shots, fireworks and the like.

This is actually very typical especially for working breeds. The reason is frankly not really well known but it appears to have to do with some genetic predisposition.

Thunder phobia- as it is also referred, to can be very debilitating to dogs.  They can truly develop a phobia and injure themselves as they try in vain to escape the noise, lighting or any other trigger that they have already learned to associate with a thunderstorm.

I have tried several things in conjunction and I am finally making a dent in how much distress thunder events have on Deuce.  Here is a rundown of what I have in place:

1. Use of crate as a “safety/comfort” zone
2. Use of a thunder shirt or storm-defender cape
3. Use of melatonin (I buy a spray that delivers 3mg) delivered prior to storm if I am around and increase dosage based on his inability to cope with the storm.
4. Masking the noise and the visuals of the storm as much as possible
5. Comfort him when he wants to be comforted by proximity and even touch (which he normally can do without)
6. A very relaxed attitude that telegraphs to him that everything is A-Okay
7. PLAY, PLAY, PLAY.

I cannot say enough about the importance of play when it comes to un-sticking this boy from his concerns from a storm.  Even though it might not be practical to do this all the time; when I am not at home or if we have a terrible storm at 3 am the effect of engaging in some real fun games during some of the storms will help in building his confidence and erode the bad association surrounding storms.



Sometimes we play outside if it’s just thunder.  We might kick the ball or just hang out acting super chill and relaxed. Tug is a super big favorite and he will engage in this game anytime and everywhere.

Lately I have been playing another fun game for both of us in the comfort of the living room.  Deuce and I go sheepherding so he not only has the instincts needed to do such an “important” job, but he and I can communicate with the typical signals used while herding.

I use, of course, a ball as stand-in for the sheep but proceed to send Deuce in “out-runs” after his ball just as if he were herding sheep.  I can send him clockwise or counter-clockwise, send him off and then ask him to come back to me before getting to the “sheep”.

He has learned to relax so much that I think that he is secretly hoping for a storm to come!  We can play like this for a few minutes, take a break and resume.  The important thing here is to override Deuce’s nervous system from going into flight mode as if facing what he perceives as an incredible threat.

The best way I can describe this is building resilience for adversity.  Similar to any behavior, autonomic responses can be short-circuited so that they hopefully and as a result of many, many exposures, the association to the scary event is lessened.

Perhaps in some cases we can even reverse the response to one of relaxation and play.  Play BTW, is incompatible to fear (how cool is this?????) So if your dog can play he is not experiencing fear.  Yes, we can build that response as well:  build the play slowly and as the dog begins to cope better you can increase the play so that in time it will take the place of the distress under stressful circumstances for your pup.

Good news is, you get to play too and all of it for a good and important cause! 

No comments:

Post a Comment